WHAT IS STEM?
- The bridging of science, technology, engineering, and math to promote problem-solving through knowledge, innovation, and the ability to analyze, reason, and communicate ideas.
- The integration of science, technology, engineering, and math into real life problem-solving situations.
- Inquiry-based problem solving which integrates science, technology, engineering, and math using processes such as designing experiments, asking questions, and developing ideas to solve everyday problems.
These 21st Century Skills are taught and reinforced in the STEM Academy:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Media and Information Literacy
- Communication and Collaboration
- Initiative and Self-Direction
- Social and Cross-Cultural Skills
- Productivity and Accountability
- Leadership and Responsibility
- Flexibility and Adaptability
In the STEM Academy:
- Same and mixed age groupings
- Integrated learning across all curricular areas
- Monthly learning adventures outside of the school
- Community Service Projects
- Highly qualified educators with training and education in the STEM disciplines.
STEM Academy Curriculum
- Grades K-5 FOSS Science Program: Problem–based, hands–on activities that promote student collaboration and inquiry.
- Grades 6-8 Students engage in a lab-based inquiry science course in which they explore scientific concepts through experiential learning.
- Grades K-5 Classrooms are equipped with student Wi-Fi and iPod carts/Chrome carts.
- Grades 6-8 Classrooms are equipped with student Wi-Fi and laptops.
Refining the potential of mobile technologies for teaching and learning using iPod and netbook devices. Students are encouraged to bring their own device.
- Grades K-5 Engineering is Elementary: In alignment with FOSS Science, each unit contains a design challenge. Engineering is Elementary provides engaging hands on STEM curriculum that prepares students to be innovative and productive leaders in STEM.
- Grades 6-8 Students apply their scientific and technical knowledge with industry standard tools to collaboratively solve real-world problems posed in their classes.
- Grades 7-8 Students additionally engage in Career and Technical Education courses to become prepared for a STEM Career.
- Grades K-8 Eureka Math Curriculum: Providing hands-on, in depth lessons including real world problem solving.
- Grades 6-8 Students have 2 options: They can either continue in grade level math utilizing the Eureka curriculum, or challenge themselves with an accelerated mathematics pathway which goes up to Geometry.
Last Modified on August 2, 2017