SKYWARD FAMILY ACCESS
What is Skyward Family Access?
Skyward Family Access is a web-based component of Skyward, our student database management system. This access will enable parents to take an unprecedented and much more proactive role in their student's education. This access is secured by a unique username and password.
With this system you will now have access to the following information on your student(s):
- Student Demographic Information—View general information and emergency contact information to make sure everything is up to date in our database records.
- Student Grade Book Information—View students current grades*, missing assignments, and teacher comments.
- Message Center—view messages from your student’s teachers to you and the ability to reply back on a one-to-one basis.
- Student Attendance—view every absence or tardy recorded for the student in an easy to use calendar format.
- Student Schedules—view the student’s schedule as well as teacher and contact information for each class.
- Student Health Information—view immunization records and other health related information on file about your student.
- Student Lunch Account – view the student’s lunch balance, and make deposits.
In terms of security, we realize how sensitive student information is. We have taken a number of steps to protect access to this data.
- Any connection to the system requires a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection that encrypts data between your computer and our server. This is the same technology utilized by banks and credit card companies to protect data transferred over the Internet. We don't just let anyone have access to the system.
- The information that you have received has only been sent to the primary guardian on record with the district. Non-custodial parents may have access to their student(s) records as long as the appropriate forms are on file at the school in which your student is enrolled.
- For further protection, the system creates a log record each time it is accessed. This shows who accessed it, when, and what was accessed. This information is readily available to the parent/guardian each time he or she logs in. Any discrepancies should be reported to the District Technology Department immediately.
*Current Grades: There are many factors that determine how soon a teacher can assess and return assignments. Essays and research papers take longer to grade than a quiz or daily work. Coaching, club sponsorships, and family commitments can also affect turnaround time, as well as a teacher's student load. We have encouraged our staff to post grades every 3 business days at the minimum for quizzes and daily work, and every 5-7 business days for research papers and projects. We urge students and parents to be patient as teachers do their best to return assignments and post grades as promptly as their schedule allows.
Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Family Access
1. How do I obtain an account?
Contact your child's school to set up an account.
2. Do I have to apply each year, or is my login information good forever? Do I have to submit an application for each of my children?
Your username and password are good forever. If you have children on other campuses, you do not need another username and do not have to reapply to access data for those children.
3. Why do my spouse and I both need a login and password?
Security and a sign-in log are maintained by Family Access.
4. Do I need a different password if I have students on different campuses?
No. Your username and password will allow access to information about all of your students.
5. I have children at more than one campus. I can see my child at the Middle School, but I can’t see the information regarding my children on other campuses.
Check the drop-down menu at the upper left of the screen. If any student’s name is missing, please notify the campus contact.
6. I have forgotten my password and/or username. How do I get another one?
Call or email the campus contact.
7. My login and password are not working today. I just used them yesterday, and I logged into the program with no problems.
- Check your Internet connection.
- Occasionally, Family Access will be down for upgrades. See www.bremertonschools.org for system status information.
- Multiple failed login attempts will cause the account to lock, and you will need to call the campus contact to get it unlocked.
8. Where can we use this system if we do not have Internet access at home or work?
Public library/School library
9. Is the system secure?
The system uses SSL encryption, a common method of securing online commercial transactions. The district and our ISP have multiple firewalls.
10. How often do the teachers update their grade books?
Grading entry requirements are a campus/department decision. Grading timelines will vary by subject, grade level, and type of assignment. We ask that the parents be understanding but also that our teachers be responsible.
11. What do I do if the demographic information in Family Access is incorrect?
Call your child's school.