In-Person Board Meetings (District Events Calendar)
As it appears the pandemic is losing its steam, the Bremerton School District Board of Directors is transitioning back to in-person board meetings. Initially, when the Board returns to in-person meetings, remote and in-person access will be possible for members of the public. For links to view the live meeting, visit BoardDocs.
One of the best ways to stay informed of what's happening in public education in your community and to have a voice in it, is to attend a meeting of your local school board. Our Board welcomes you at its meetings. If you would like to bring something to the attention of the directors, there is a public comment period at the beginning of each regular meeting where visitors may make presentations lasting up to three minutes. Provided near the entrance, you will find forms, “Request to Address The Board of Directors;” please complete this form and give to Ms. Cossack before the Board meeting if you wish to provide comments. You may also comment prior to Board action on any specific action agenda item, by simply raising your hand during Board discussion. Comments on agenda items are also limited to three minutes. You may also write, email, or telephone your school board directors to make your opinions known. You may also communicate with Board members by emailing them at email@example.com. Use the subject "public input," if you would like this communication to be listed as public input at an upcoming Board meeting.
Please note that discussions regarding individual staff or students are not appropriate for a public meeting. Please contact the Superintendent regarding these complaint procedures.
Our Board and Officers for 2022Alyson Rotter, 2022 President (Term expires 2025)John Hurley, 2022 Vice President & WIAA Representative (Term expires 2023)Karen Bolton, State Legislative Representative (Term expires 2023)Jonee Dubos, Past President & Auditor (Term expires 2023)Carolynn Perkins, Federal Legislative Rep. (Term expires 2025)Mitchell Alexander, Student Representative to the Board, 2021/2022Juliana Meyer, incoming Student Representative to the Board for 2022/2023
Animated Video - Role of a School Board
The role of the school board is frequently misunderstood by citizens. And students often do not fully understand the impact that the Board may have on their future. This animated video, which won an award in NSPRA's (National School Public Relations Association) 2016 Electronic Media competition, takes a crack at explaining the role of the Board to an elementary student. Thanks to the Texas Assn. of School Boards for providing the leadership to explain the role of today's school board.
Agendas, Minutes, and Other Information
For agendas, minutes, and other information, please visit our BoardDocs website. It is an easy site to navigate around. Here are a few tips:
- For information on individual Board members, visit the Welcome page, select Board Members on the left side.
- For current meeting information, select the "Information" tab, which displays current meeting agendas and materials.
- For past meeting information, select the "Meetings" tab to scroll down through past meeting agendas and materials.
- To view minutes, click on "View the Minutes" button on the right (available only after approval by the Board).
- To view upcoming meeting schedules and planned study sessions, click on the "Library" tab, then General, then click on Schedules.
If you have any questions or comments about BoardDocs, please contact Ioanna Cossack at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360.473.1031.
WE HOPE YOU'LL JOIN US!
This guide is meant to share upcoming events that we hope you may find of interest, as well as to offer you an opportunity to provide public input in advance. *Some of these events that happen regularly each year, may be delayed or cancelled as many community and student events and activities are not able to occur.
- Destination Imagination Recognition
- Affirmative Action Report
- Finalize the Superintendent’s evaluation and conduct executive session summary conference
JULY (1 meeting/2nd Thursday)
- Board Retreat - Self-Reflection - date to be decided
AUGUST (1st/3rd Thursday)
- Budget Adoption (public hearing) - typically 2nd meeting
- Adoption of Board and Superintendent Goals for the School Year (moved to September)
SEPTEMBER (1st/3rd Thursday)
- Study Session
- Recognition of community and staff for back-to-school fair
OCTOBER (1st/3rd Thursday)
- Study Session
- Technology/Instructional Technology Report to the Board - October 21
- Receive Report on State Testing/Assessment; AYP Results
- Out of Endorsement Assignments, if any (report)
- Study Session with principals to review their Comprehensive School Improvement Plans (CSIPs)
- School Principals’ Month / National School Lunch Week!
NOVEMBER (1 meeting/2nd TH)
- Elections (during odd years only; for 2 or 3 Board members)
- Comprehensive School Improvement Plans (CSIP) review with principals
- Second Study Session, if necessary, with principals to review their CSIP
- Washington State School Directors Assn. (WSSDA) Annual Conference
- Reviewing Goals and progress made
DECEMBER (1 meeting/2nd TH)
- Study Session
- New Board Members, if any, are sworn in (odd years)
- Board Reorganization (new officers elected/appointed)
- Thank you to outgoing directors (odd years, only if applicable)
- Approving academic calendar for the next school year
JANUARY (1 meeting/2nd TH)
- Board Appreciation Month
- Recognition; BHS Fall Sports (moved to Feb 3rd)
- Study Session
FEBRUARY (1st/3rd Thursdays)
- School Counseling Recognition Week
- Student Attendance Reports, bi-annual (written)
MARCH (1st/3rd Thursdays)
- Classified Employees (Support Professionals) Week
- BHS Winter Sports & Foreign Exchange Students
- Online (WSSDA) self-assessment for the Board
- Annual Building Condition Assessment
APRIL (1 meeting/3rd Thursday)
- Spring Break
- Recognition: WA State Science & Engineering Fair
- National School Board Assn. (NSBA) Annual Conference
- Alternative Learning Experience Report
- Teacher Appreciation Week
- School Nutrition Employee Week
- School Nurse Day
- Annual Recognition and Reception
- Staff Retirees
- BHS Scholarship Award Recipients (sampling)
- BHS Spring Sports