Family Access in Skyward
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is Skyward?
Skyward Family Access is a web-based component of Skyward, our student database management system. This access will enable parents to have proactive role in their student's education. This access is secured by a unique username and password.
With this system you will now have access to the following information on your student(s):
- Student Demographic Information—View general information and emergency contact information to make sure everything is up to date in our database records.
- Student Grade Book Information—View students current grades*, missing assignments, and teacher comments.
- Student Attendance—view every absence or tardy recorded for the student in an easy to use calendar format.
- Student Schedules—view the student’s schedule as well as teacher and contact information for each class.
- Student Health Information—view immunization records and other health related information on file about your student.
- Student Lunch Account – view the student’s lunch balance, and make deposits.
Am I required to have a Family Access log-in?
At this time, the Bremerton School District does not require that every guardian or household have a Family Access log-in. However, it is is strongly encouraged at MVMS and BHS for parent access to grades and schedule information. We recommend that every household have at least one BSD Family Access log-in.
As we move toward more on-line paperwork and processes for the District (such as registration and forms that require parent review/signature), we will require that at least one guardian per student(s) have a BSD Family Access log-in.
Can my child’s other parent/guardian see or change my contact information?
No - unless you share a log-in as a family, or provide another parent/guardian your log-in information. Every parent/guardian’s contact information is kept separate in our system.
Can I just add my spouse or partner’s contact information to my account using my Family Access log-in?
Yes! Families may want to consider adding phone numbers and/or email addresses for additional guardians in the same household as “additional contacts” under the SAME BSD Family Access log-in rather than having separate log-ins for each guardian. Each guardian CAN have his/her own BSD Family Access log-in, but it might be easier for parents/guardians in the same household to share one log-in (one less log-in/password to remember!).
Do I have to apply for a log-in each year? Do I have to submit an application for each of my children?
Your username and password are good as long as you have children enrolled in our District. Your log-in provides access to all children in your family who are enrolled in our District.
What if my student information or address is incorrect? How can I update it?
If something in your student(s)' record is incorrect or you need to update your address, please contact your child's school.
How secure is the system?
The system uses SSL encryption, a common method of securing online commercial transactions. The district and our ISP have multiple firewalls. Any connection to the system requires a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection that encrypts data between your computer and our server. This is the same technology utilized by banks and credit card companies to protect data transferred over the Internet. We don't just let anyone have access to the system.
For further protection, the system creates a log record each time it is accessed. This shows who accessed it, when, and what was accessed. This information is readily available to the parent/guardian each time he or she logs in. Any discrepancies should be reported to the District Technology Department immediately.
My login and password are not working today. I just used them yesterday, and I logged in with no problems.
- Check your internet connection.
- Occasionally, Family Access will be down for upgrades.
- If you are unable to log-in, please contact your child's school, or the District Office for assistance.
- Multiple failed login attempts will cause the account to lock, and you will need to contact your child's school or the District Office to get it unlocked.
Why does it show my middle school/high school student is missing assignments when he/she says they have been turned in?
There are many factors that determine how soon a teacher can assess and return assignments. Essays and research papers take longer to grade than a quiz or daily work. Coaching, club sponsorships, and family commitments can also affect turnaround time, as well as a teacher's student load. We have encouraged our staff to post grades every 3 business days at the minimum for quizzes and daily work, and every 5-7 business days for research papers and projects. We urge students and parents to be patient as teachers do their best to return assignments and post grades as promptly as their schedule allows.
We will continue to add questions to this list as we get them! If you have a question about Family Access, please email us at Communications@BremertonSchools.org.
- Skyward: Skyward is the secure system we use to manage all student data.
- BSD Family Access: Family Access is the “tool” that gives parents/guardians the ability to log-in to their student(s) “Skyward” account.