March 7, 2019
We have recently upgraded our data management/family communication systems in an effort to communicate more effectively with you - and give families more control over how they receive information from the Bremerton School District.
Any/all parents/guardians can now choose to receive information from Bremerton School District, and have control over how we send you information – including text messages! Before this upgrade, our system was limited to sending emails and “robo calls” to just one parent/guardian per student regardless of the number of guardians or households a student might have. We have also added a new “category” of communication just for school delays/closures, giving families the opportunity to opt-out of early morning “robo calls” without missing other “robo calls” sent by the District.
We invite all parents/guardians to log-in in with BSD Family Access to update their contact information and choose their communication preferences.
If you (or another parent in the same household) already have a log-in for Skyward Family Access, you do not need to request a new one or reset it. I encourage you to review the attached document for instructions on how you update your contact information in Skyward and choose the way(s) we communicate to you. You can also add additional contacts for yourself or for other parents/guardians in your household on your account and manage how they receive information as well (each parent/guardian does NOT need to have their own log-in).
If you (or another parent/guardian in hour household) do not currently have a BSD Family Access log-in, we invite you to obtain a log-in by:
- Calling your student’s school **
- Calling the District office at 360-473-1076 **
- Stopping by your student’s school during school hours with a photo ID
- Stopping by the District office from 8 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. with a photo ID
** If you call to request your log-in, you will need to answer some security questions about your student(s). If you are unable to answer the security questions, you will be asked to come into the school or District Office with your photo ID to obtain a log-in.
Note: In addition to choosing your communication preferences, there is a lot of information you can access in Skyward including your student’s lunch account balance, class schedule information, vaccination records, and grades.
This change has been made to better serve all families in the District. Based on the feedback I’ve gotten, I know many of you believe this change is long overdue.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at 360-473-1014 or Karen.Bevers@BremertonSchools.org. You can also access this letter, the instruction sheet and our Frequently Asked Questions document online at www.BremertonSchools.org/BSDFamilyAccess.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Información en español próximamente
What is Skyward?
Skyward Family Access is a web-based component of Skyward, our student database management system. This access will enable parents to have proactive role in their student's education. This access is secured by a unique username and password.
With this system you will now have access to the following information on your student(s):
- Student Demographic Information—View general information and emergency contact information to make sure everything is up to date in our database records.
- Student Grade Book Information—View students current grades*, missing assignments, and teacher comments.
- Student Attendance—view every absence or tardy recorded for the student in an easy to use calendar format.
- Student Schedules—view the student’s schedule as well as teacher and contact information for each class.
- Student Health Information—view immunization records and other health related information on file about your student.
- Student Lunch Account – view the student’s lunch balance, and make deposits.
Am I required to have a Family Access log-in?
At this time, the Bremerton School District does not require that every guardian or household have a Family Access log-in. However, it is is strongly encouraged at MVMS and BHS for parent access to grades and schedule information. We recommend that every household have at least one BSD Family Access log-in.
As we move toward more on-line paperwork and processes for the District (such as registration and forms that require parent review/signature), we will require that that at least one guardian per student(s) have a BSD Family Access log-in.
Can my child’s other parent/guardian see or change my contact information?
No - unless you share a log-in as a family, or provide another parent/guardian your log-in information. Every parent/guardian’s contact information is kept separate in our system.
Can I just add my spouse or partner’s contact information to my account using my Family Access log-in?
Yes! Families may want to consider adding phone numbers and/or email addresses for additional guardians in the same household as “additional contacts” under the SAME BSD Family Access log-in rather than having separate log-ins for each guardian. Each guardian CAN have his/her own BSD Family Access log-in, but it might be easier for parents/guardians in the same household to share one log-in (one less log-in/password to remember!).
Do I have to apply for a log-in each year? Do I have to submit an application for each of my children?
Your username and password are good as long as you have children enrolled in our District. Your log-in provides access to all children in your family who are enrolled in our District.
What if my student information or address is incorrect? How can I update it?
Our system is set-up so that parents/guardians can update their phone numbers and emails and control their communication preferences, but they cannot update their address or other student data. If something in your student(s)' record is incorrect or you need to update your address, please contact your child's school.
How secure is the system?
The system uses SSL encryption, a common method of securing online commercial transactions. The district and our ISP have multiple firewalls. Any connection to the system requires a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection that encrypts data between your computer and our server. This is the same technology utilized by banks and credit card companies to protect data transferred over the Internet. We don't just let anyone have access to the system.
For further protection, the system creates a log record each time it is accessed. This shows who accessed it, when, and what was accessed. This information is readily available to the parent/guardian each time he or she logs in. Any discrepancies should be reported to the District Technology Department immediately.
My login and password are not working today. I just used them yesterday, and I logged in with no problems.
- Check your internet connection.
- Occasionally, Family Access will be down for upgrades.
- If you are unable to log-in, please contact your child's school, or the District Office for assistance.
- Multiple failed login attempts will cause the account to lock, and you will need to contact your child's school or the District Office to get it unlocked.
Why does it show my middle school/high school student is missing assignments when he/she says they have been turned in?
There are many factors that determine how soon a teacher can assess and return assignments. Essays and research papers take longer to grade than a quiz or daily work. Coaching, club sponsorships, and family commitments can also affect turnaround time, as well as a teacher's student load. We have encouraged our staff to post grades every 3 business days at the minimum for quizzes and daily work, and every 5-7 business days for research papers and projects. We urge students and parents to be patient as teachers do their best to return assignments and post grades as promptly as their schedule allows.
We will continue to add questions to this list as we get them! If you have a question about Family Access, please email us at Communications@BremertonSchools.org.
Skyward: Skyward is the secure system we use to manage all student data.
BSD Family Access: Family Access is the “tool” that gives parents/guardians the ability to log-in to their student(s) “Skyward” account.
Skylert: The “app” within Skyward that enables a parent/guardian to update their contact information and choose their communication preferences. It gives parents/guardians control over which notifications to receive and how they’d like to receive them.
- Attendance: Communication regarding your child’s attendance (missed days, unexcused absences) and/or school lunch account updates. This is automated communication sent to the primary number (which is locked).
- Bus Notifications (new 1/2020!): Updates and information about school bus delays or changes.
- We encourage you to sign-up for text messaging for bus notifications since it takes the system time to get through automated calls.
- General outreach (reminders, upcoming school dates/event info general updates, etc. This is the category used most often by schools and the District office for communicating with families/guardians).
- School delays/closures (like snow days or two-hour delays due to inclement weather!
- Tip: to avoid early morning robo calls, families may want to opt-out of telephone calls for these notices and instead choose text messaging or email).
- Emergency: Only used for emergencies (such as emergency school closure due to a fire or earthquake, etc.) NOT weather-related school delays or closures.
- Survey: We do not use this category. Please ignore.
Información adicional en español próximamente