Friday, February 8, 2019
The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Watch for our area starting Friday afternoon. To ensure the safety of our students, Bremerton School District will be on a Wednesday/early release schedule for Friday, February 8th.
3:20 p.m. Whew! We did it! Thank you to everybody who helped today's early release go very smoothly! We got everybody home (including our staff!) before the snow started accumulating! Thank you families for your cooperation today! We appreciate our after school program partners Boys & Girls Club of South Puget sound and YMCA of Pierce & Kitsap Counties Y Kids who had staff available after school to provide a "cushion" for our families in those programs. And how about a big "shout out" to our bus drivers for getting our kids home safely - in some pretty crazy traffic, too! And of course we couldn't do it without our school office staff, teachers and principals and their "cat herding" skills - today and every day. Have a great weekend and enjoy the snow! We are watching the weather closely and if this snow sticks around as expected, you'll get an update from us Sunday night.
- 2:45 p.m. All of our bus riders have been safely dropped off and our buses are headed back to the bus barn! Shout out to all of our transportation staff for their great work today!
1:20 p.m. While road conditions are still good, there is heavy traffic in Bremerton. Several of our buses from Mountain Middle School are running 10-15 minutes late due to traffic. This may cause buses to arrive late at the elementary schools to pick up students, which could possibly cause some elementary students to arrive home late. We are updating our website (www.BremertonSchools.org/snow) and Facebook page (@BremertonSchools) as information becomes available. We will not be doing parent "robo calls" or emails for bus delays unless there is an incident or significant delays. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work to get all students home safely and as early as possible.
- The Kitsap philharmonic youth symphony concert scheduled for Sunday at the BHS Performing Arts Center has been cancelled.
- Regional boys & girls wrestling tournaments have been cancelled. See notice.
- West Central District 1A/2A Boys Swim and Dive Championships canceled.
- Statement from Boys & GIrls' Club: Our inclement weather policy states that if the School District the Club is in closes or cancels after school activities due to weather, the Club will be closed as well. For Friday, February 8th we will be making an exception where we will have staff available to welcome Club members at our Bremerton Branch until 3pm. We will make calls to families for immediate pick up to ensure everyone has time to get home safely. The safety of our staff and Club members is always our number one priority.
- Friday's early release day will "count" as a school day. We will not have to make up the day later in the year (yipee!).
- Thank you for your patience w/ all of our communication - espeically phone calls - today. We opted for "over communicating" so that there was no chance of any families not getting the news and having one of our students (especially our younger kids) get stranded or sent home to a cold, empty, locked house.
- NO PM session for West Sound Tech.
- BSD YKids after-school sites will remain open tomorrow until 3 p.m. (updated from original time of 4:30 p.m.)
(Letter sent to parents 2/7/19)
February 7, 2019
Greetings BSD families:
Due to the heavy snow storm that is predicted for the area, the Bremerton School District will be operating on an early release/Wednesday schedule on Friday, February 8, 2019.
We realize schedule changes pose challenges for our families. We do not make these decisions without careful consideration and deliberation.
The top priority is always student and staff safety. By making this decision today, we hope it provides families time to make plans for tomorrow and will hopefully minimize the stress and inconvenience for our families.
- Schools will release early using a regular Wednesday schedule tomorrow, 2/8/19.
- We understand you may want to keep your child home tomorrow - and that’s ok. Please notify your child’s school and it will be marked as an excused absence.
- There will be no out-of-district transportation tomorrow (morning or afternoon)
- All after-school activities and events held in Bremerton School District facilities are cancelled.
- The status of BHS wrestling & swimming events this weekend will be communicated by coaches.
- This schedule change does not impact Renaissance and Open Doors as they are closed on Fridays.
- West Sound Tech will NOT have the afternoon session tomorrow.
- All Bremerton School District facilities will be closed and unavailable after school for community use (such as Pee Wees, etc.)
We have reviewed a number of different forecast and weather models (see below) and they all predict that snow will hit tomorrow afternoon.
We want to make sure every student gets home safely before the heavy snow hits. Some of you may remember the storm in November 2010 when we made the decision to keep our schools open - and we had kids and staff unable to get home and stranded in school buses late into the evening. We can’t stress enough that student and staff safety is the reason we are making this difficult decision.
A few other weather-related notes:
- More snow is predicted over the weekend. This may impact school schedules next week.
- We will be providing updates to families (email, website, Facebook, etc.) as new information is available and/or decisions are made.
- Friday, February 15th will be a snow make-up day. That means there WILL be school and we’ll be on a normal school schedule.
- Monday, February 18th there is NO SCHOOL due to the President’s Day Holiday.
Dr. Aaron Leavell, Ed.D.
After School Childcare Updates
Boys & Girls Club of Pierce & Kitsap County:
Our inclement weather policy states that if the School District the Club is in closes or cancels after school activities due to weather, the Club will be closed as well. For Friday, February 8th we will be making an exception where we will have staff available to welcome Club members at our Bremerton Branch until 3pm. We will make calls to families for immediate pick up to ensure everyone has time to get home safely. The safety of our staff and Club members is always our number one priority. Please direct questions to the Boys & Girls Club Teen Center at 360-830-6947.
BSD YKids after-school sites will remain open tomorrow until 3 p.m. (updated from original time of 4:30 p.m.)