VolunteerOpportunitiesThe volunteer needs of the District are constantly changing.Below are just a few of the many Volunteer Opportunities available in the District. If you are interested in any of the opportunities listed below, please email the staff contact that is listed. For those without a specific individual listed, please email the school's volunteer coordinator and they will connect you with the proper person.District-Wide Volunteer OpportunitiesJoyce Cowdery - District Volunteer CoordinatorBelow are some of the need district-wide. Each School has their own specific wants/needs/scheduling for volunteers in these areas.
Armin Jahr Elementary - K-5ALESA SCHIANO - Volunteer Coordinator
- Readers - Listening to Students Read to promote efficiency
- Math - Many teachers request that you are present when the lesson is given so that you are in alignment with the "new" math programs being utilized
- Math Blast - District-wide Math Blast Event - Geared for Preschool-5th Grade, utilizing 6th-12th graders and adults as Math Mentors at this FUN Family Event - Joyce Cowdery
- be Bremerton - A day of service. Bremerton Schools Giving Back to the Community - This service event is held annually in Bremerton - Joyce Cowdery
- Science Fair - There is a flurry of science throughout the school year with a concentration beginning in December and going through April, partly in preparation for the Washington State Science and Engineering Fair that is held in Bremerton. Traditionally held the end of March, beginning of April.
- Countdown to Kindergarten - This event welcomes incoming kindergarten students and their families.
- Back to School Fair - Held annually in August to welcome new and returning students and their families back to school.
- Spanish Speakers - There are many needs throughout the District for individuals who are fluent in both Spanish and English. - Julie Lordon
- Vision & Hearing Screening - Assist with WA state mandated testing that is held in the fall at each elementary school as well as 7th grader students. - Debra Hyre
View Ridge Elementary Arts Academy - K-5Kim Trembley - Volunteer Coordinator
- Reading Groups -
Naval Avenue Early Learning Center K-3DUAL Immersion ProgramJulie Anderson - Volunteer Coordinator
- WRC (Washington Reading Corps) Small Group Reading - Jan Bullock
- Watch D.O.G.S. (Dads of Great Students) - Male Positive Role Model active throughout the school -
- Math Skills Tutor
- Reading Games with Kindergarteners
Kitsap Lake Elementary - K-5Terri Beliveau - Volunteer Coordinator
- Spanish Speakers/Readers - Volunteers need to be proficient in Spanish in order to assist new readers in proper pronunciation.
West Hills STEM Academy - K-8Spanish Immersion Program 4th - 5th gradeNICHOLE THORSEN - Volunteer Coordinator
- Readers are Leaders Program - Hilah Cochrane - Prefer to schedule volunteers for the beginning and end of school day, but willing to work with volunteer's schedules on a case by case basis.
Bremerton High School - 9th-12thBRIANNA GRUVER - Volunteer Coordinator
- Readers for K-2
- Classroom Assistance for Kindergarten and 1st Grade
- Watch D.O.G.S. (Dad's of Great Students) - positive male role models active throughout the school
- Readers for Spanish Imersion Program - Volunteers need to be proficient in Spanish - Ivelis Botti
- WRC (Washington Reading Corps) - Chris Drebick
- Math and/or Science - Des Hall
- Field Excursion Chaperones - Dates and times vary for these monthly excursions that are targeted for grades 3-8
Renaissance Alternative High SchoolLisa Clifton - volunteer coordinator
- Knight Academy - After school Homework (Math and Science tutors wanted) in the library on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays - Cindy McClain
West Sound Technical Skills CenterLORETTA ROBINETT - volunteer coordinator
- Weekly Mentors - willing to accommodate volunteers' availability - Kristen Morga
- Mandatory Training and Interview prior to placement
- Professionals to serve on assorted Advisory Committees - Shani Watkins (360) 473-0552
- Classroom Advisory Committees - currently there are 11 separate committees to select from. Committees are representative of the 11 programs that WST offers
- General Advisory Committee - Explore career needs that our community needs - this committee oversees the 11 sub committees
Last Modified on March 14, 2019