Bus Rider Expectations
School Bus Student Rules and Responsibilities:
- The driver is in full charge of the bus and students at all times. Students are expected to obey the driver promptly and willingly.
- Students are expected to give their correct name promptly when asked by the bus driver.
- Students are expected to behave in a civil and respectful manner towards others at all times. This includes refraining from engaging in peer-to-peer harassment and any other bullying behaviors.
- Students shall ride their regularly assigned bus at all times, unless written permission has been granted by the school authorities.
- Unless by written permission of school authorities, no student shall be permitted to leave the bus except at his/her regular stop.
- Each student may be assigned a seat in which he/she will be seated at all times, unless permission to change is given by the school principal and/or driver.
- Outside of ordinary conversation, classroom conduct must be observed. No student will be allowed to talk to the driver more than necessary.
- Students are expected to assist in keeping the bus clean by keeping their waste paper and trash off the floor. Students must not throw refuse out of the windows.
- Eating and drinking on a school bus is not permitted except by specific permission of the driver.
- Usage of electronic devices (including but not limited to: mp3 players, radios, handheld electronic games, cellular phones, or other electronic devices,) by students while on the bus is permitted subject to the following restrictions: Students may use one (1) earbud to listen to these devices. Students shall not use the “record” function on these devices at any time. If, at the discretion of the bus driver, the usage of these devices creates a nuisance or any other hazard with regards to the safety of the bus, this usage provision may be revoked. Students are expected to be responsible for their devices at all times.
- Students are expected to ask permission from the driver prior to opening the window. If permission is granted by the driver, the window may be lowered to no more than the second stop or four (4) inches, whichever opening is smaller.
- While on the bus, students are expected to keep all parts of their bodies (head, arms, hands, etc.,) within the confines of the bus at all times.
- Students are expected to have nothing in their possession that may cause injury to others, including but not limited to: sticks, breakable containers, any type of firearms, and straps or pins extending from their clothing. Except for "seeing-eye" dogs, no animal is permitted on the buses.
- Students are expected to keep books and personal belongings out of the aisle. Special permission must be granted by school authorities to transport any large items.
- No student shall sit in the driver's seat, nor shall any student be located to the immediate left or right of the driver while on the bus.
- Students are expected to remain fully and properly seated while the bus is in motion.
- Students are not to get on or off the bus until the bus has come to a full stop. Once the bus has stopped, students are expected to enter and/or exit the bus in an orderly manner.
- Students must cross the roadway only in front of the school bus, never behind it, and only after the driver has verified it is safe to do so. Students shall remain in full view of the driver at all times for their safety.
- Self-discipline should be exercised by students at the bus loading area. Students are to refrain from pushing, shoving, or engaging in any unsafe activities with other students.
- Students who must walk some distance along the highway to the bus loading zone, where practical, must walk on the left hand side facing the oncoming traffic. This will also apply to students leaving the bus loading zone in the evening.
- Students must not stand or play in the roadway while waiting for the bus. Students should leave home early enough to arrive at the bus stop at least 5 but no more than 10 minutes before the bus is due.
- Students are not to run errands between the bus stop and their home.
- Students' misconduct on a bus will be sufficient reason to discontinue bus transportation for those students involved.
- In the event of an actual emergency, emergency exit procedures, as established by the emergency exit drills, will be followed.
- Parents of students damaging school buses will be responsible for proper reimbursement to the school district.
- No student will smoke, nor shall they use matches, lighters, or any type of flame or sparking device at any time on the school bus.
Last Modified on March 21, 2019