Studies have found that learning a second language at an early age has many benefits:
• There is a positive effect on brain development and intellectual growth.
• Students gain flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
• It opens the door to other cultures and helps children understand and appreciate people from other countries.
• Students acquire Spanish language fluency.
• Spanish Immersion produces successful learners who perform well on tests.
• Students have increased job opportunities in many careers where knowledge of another language is an asset.
Spanish Immersion in the Bremerton School District is a vibrant and growing program:
• The Elementary Spanish Immersion Program spans Kindergarten through 5th grade.
• Every year more than 40 new students join this successful Bremerton program.
• Students are educated to be bilingual (speaking) and biliterate (reading).
How does this program differ from other programs?
Students in the Spanish Immersion Program are taught the standard Bremerton School District curriculum, but receive instruction in Spanish. Students will learn to understand, speak, read, and write Spanish in addition to English. It is mandatory that students have a strong foundation in English to be a participant in the Spanish Immersion Program.
Our Spanish Immersion teachers are bilingual and biliterate; this means they have the ability to speak, read, and write in Spanish and English and are chosen for their skills and their commitments to the goals of the program.
At the elementary level (K-5), students receive the majority of the instruction in Spanish. Teachers speak Spanish to the students, while making sure they understand instructions and receive answers to their questions. English reading and language arts are introduced in mid-second grade.
How do I register my child for the Spanish Immersion Program?
The Spanish Immersion Program is currently accepting students in kindergarten and first grade for the 2016/17 school year only as we will be transitioning to Dual Immersion for the 2017/18 school year. Parents can register their child for the Spanish Immersion Program at the Naval Avenue Early Learning Center (900 Olympic Avenue, Bremerton) or at the District Office (134 Marion Ave North, Bremerton.) When registering, please bring a copy of your child’s birth certificate and immunization record. Registration forms are available on the District’s website at www.bremertonschools.org/registration.
What is the cost of this program?
There is NO cost to parents for this program.
For More Information
Principal, Naval Avenue Early Learning Center