Students, Families and Community,
I am honored to serve as principal of Bremerton High School for a sixth year in 2015-2016. BHS is a school with a rich tradition and legacy in our community. The traditions at Bremerton include the “Knight Way”, which emphasizes respect, responsibility and safety. Our school is recipient of many awards, one of which is recent Washington State recognition as a Washington Achievement Award Winner and a Washington STEM Lighthouse School. These awards are wonderful recognition, but our real focus is on creating an engaging and inspirational culture for your son or daughter to thrive. We focus on developing a school culture in which students feel connected to school, and where they can explore and develop their abilities.
I have a few priorities that center on characteristics of high performing schools with a positive culture. An easy way to remember my priorities is to think of Triple A. The three A’s stand for Academics, Athletics, and the Arts. Academics remain the core of our mission for our students. Athletics and the Arts help to engage students in the school, and help create the exciting culture we want for our students. A focus on these A's help us to focus on developing quality programs for students in all areas.
As we embark on this journey, our goals and my commitments are:
• To establish high expectations and an academic focus for all students with a belief that performance really matters
• To improve student achievement in all areas, especially in state assessed areas of reading, writing, mathematics and science where we strive to exceed state averages
• To measure our success in how well we meet the instructional needs of all students resulting in a high graduation rate
• To improve school climate where self and mutual respect are central to creating a safe and positive learning environment
• To support all teachers to deliver the highest quality instruction
By working together we can provide a wonderful, high quality learning environment where all students can achieve success and become prepared to pursue future educational, professional and career goals. I would like to thank you for your interest and support of BHS and our mission to serve the students and families of Bremerton.
I look forward to working collaboratively as we begin this new school year. Please continue to check our website for new information and upcoming events. Our website represents our commitment to connect and engage with our school, parents and stakeholders.
John A. Polm, Jr.
Bremerton High School Principal