Operation of Schools Under Emergency
Please take a moment to review our district’s emergency operational procedures. These procedures may be implemented if there is inclement weather or if an emergency situation occurs.
WHERE CAN I FIND INFORMATION?Beginning at 6:00 am, information about school closures, delays, and other emergencies will be available at www.flashalert.net as well as the District’s News and Information Hotline 360.473.1002. The following is a list of local media which will also report the District’s school closures and delays.
AM Stations:Kiro 710, KIXI 880, KOMO 1000, KITZ 1400FM Stations:KVTI 90.9, KUBE93.3, KMPS 94.1, KIRO 97.3, KMTT 103.7, KCMS 105.3, KRWM 106.9TV Stations:KOMO 4, King 5, KONG 6/16, KIRO 7, KCPQ 13
WHAT HAPPENS IF SCHOOL IS DELAYED OR CLOSED?
If school is delayed, a "One or Two Hour Late Start" will be mentioned in the announcement. Unless an exception is noted, the following procedures will be in place:
· Schools will open one/two hours late.
· Buses will operate on a one/two hour delay.
· There will be no field trip or activity buses.
· The ‘Selective Swim’ program will be canceled.
· No breakfast will be served when there is a two-hour delay.· No Preschool or Head Start· Bremerton Home Link, Open Doors, and Renaissance High School will begin at the regular time.** However, if weather fails to improve, these programs may be canceled. Parents should continue to monitor the District website at www.bremertonschools.org, the District News & Information line 360.473.1002, and Radio and TV stations for additional information.
If school is delayed on a Wednesday, there will be no early release. Students will be released on a regular schedule:
- Bremerton High School - 2:00 pm
- Mountain View Middle School - 2:45 pm
- District Elementary Schools -3:35 pm
NOTE: This change has been made to improve student learning. All of the delayed start procedures mentioned above will apply.
WHEN SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED
If an announcement is made that Bremerton Schools are closed, the following will occur:
· Classes for all Bremerton Schools will be canceled.
· All Co-curricular trips will be canceled.
HOW WILL SCHOOL DELAYS AND POOR WEATHER AFFECT MY CHILD'S BUS ROUTE?In the event of emergencies or inclement weather, district transportation may be effected. Please check the bremertonschools.org website, listen to media reports and/or the district hotline carefully to see if buses will be operating on a delay of their regular schedule or if they will be running on Snow Routes.
WHAT ARE SNOW ROUTES?
Our buses will provide limited transportation when snow and/or icy roads result in hazardous conditions. Please visit our list of ‘Snow Routes’ to see which bus your child should take. Bus schedule timing is less predictable in snowy weather; students should plan on getting to their stops a few minutes early. Please don’t wait until it snows to look at the snow schedule. Many of our buses make a very limited number of stops.
NOTE: If ‘Snow Routes’ are announced, they will be in effect for the entire day, regardless of weather conditions.
WOULD YOU EVER DISMISS CHILDREN EARLY FROM SCHOOL?
Generally speaking, if there is a storm or if snow begins to fall during the school day, we believe the safest place for children is in our schools. However, weather conditions may develop during the day which may require early dismissal. Efforts will be made to announce early dismissals over radio and TV stations, as well as the district website, School Messenger System, e-News and the District News and Information line (360-473-1002). Parents are welcome to take their children home during inclement weather conditions, after they check-in with the school’s office.
FAMILY PLANSEach family should have a plan covering what to do when children arrive home due to an early school closure. Situations that should be covered with your child include:
· What is the best route to and from home if your child cannot be delivered to the normal bus stop?
· Where should your child go if he/she needs help?
· Who will care for your child until you arrive home?
· Is there someone your child can contact to help ease their fears?
NOTE: Please do not call radio or TV stations or the administration/school/transportation offices. Jammed telephone lines only compound emergencies. We suggest that you pick one radio station and/or one TV station and stay with it. If you switch around, you can easily miss the announcement. If there is no announcement about the Bremerton School District, normal bus and school schedules will be followed.